Bayesian buff and actual dang professor Dr. Rachel Branco joins us for puppies, p-values, and prurient PET scans. She bursts some amyloid-beta bubbles with the latest Alzheimer’s news from the FDA. We also dive into the complex relationships between opioid receptors and sex drive, as well as the complex relationships between fitsing and sitsing. All the while, we wonder: what is a cell? (A soup? A gruel? An étouffée? A Pixar blockbuster waiting to happen?) Also: carnival mallets.
- 4:55 – Express(ome) yourself!
- 6:35 – Crowding, crowding, crowding! If you haven’t seen these images yet, you are in for the head-explodiest of treats. From Atoms to Cells: Using Mesoscale Landscapes to Construct Visual Narratives (Goodsell, Franzen, & Herman, 2018)
- 9:15 – Tangent alert! If sifting through old high school bio textbooks is your thing, maybe start with these.
- 12:35 – Poor common salt! (Armstrong, 1927)
- 15:40 – Endogenous μ-opioid receptor system modulates sex drive in human males (Nummenmaa et al., 2021)
- 17:30 – An English translation of Acosta’s treatise is hard to find, but it’s quoted in The Pursuit of Oblivion (Davenport-Hines, 2003)
- 19:25 – Sex, drugs, and questionnaires: check out the sexual functioning inventory cited by Nummenmaa et al.. The DSFI: a multidimensional measure of sexual functioning (Derogatis & Melisaratos, 1979)
- 36:35 – “Receptors don’t exist because there’s a plant out there” (Mechoulam, 2019)
- 40:25 – For more on MAT, stimulants, and sexual (dys)function, see: Understanding concurrent stimulant use among people on methadone: A qualitative study (McNeil et al., 2020)
- Carfentanil is useful for research and medicine; but when it shows up unannounced in the unregulated drug supply, it can kill. Learn more about drug checking data: What’s in Toronto’s drug supply? (Centre on Drug Policy Evaluation, 2021) #NaloxoneForAll
- 43:50 – Read about aducanumab from an advisory committee member who resigned over its approval: FDA’s green light, science’s red light (Perlmutter, 2021)
- Or read about aducanumab from the FDA
- 1:01:55 – If I fits I sits: A citizen science investigation into illusory contour susceptibility in domestic cats (Felis silvestris catus) (Smith, Chouinard, & Byosiere, 2021)
- 1:06:00 – On Gaetano Kanizsa