Hope you’re ready to metabolize a brand new episode all about tasty foods. This episode is served steaming hot with how umami flavors are making you wanna eat more. The superiority of biology over physics is on full display as it destroys basic measurements of conservation of mass. We also have a guest appearance of a surprise organ we don’t often spend time with, the liver! Also, gout.
- John Mulaney on music exposure paradigms
- Info on Metabolic Syndrome
- Andres-Hernando, A., Cicerchi, C., Kuwabara, M. et al. Umami-induced obesity and metabolic syndrome is mediated by nucleotide degradation and uric acid generation. Nat Metab 3, 1189–1201 (2021). doi: 10.1038/s42255-021-00454-z
- Hild, B., Dreier, M.S., Oh, J.H. et al. Neonatal exposure to a wild-derived microbiome protects mice against diet-induced obesity. Nat Metab 3, 1042–1057 (2021). doi: 10.1038/s42255-021-00439-y
- Additional coverage of (Hild et al, 2021) by Le Roy, T., Clément, K. Into the wild: early time-window for wild microbes to confer resistance to obesity. Nat Rev Endocrinol 17, 711–712 (2021). doi: 10.1038/s41574-021-00580-4
- Naomi Ekperigin on food diaries
- Outro Song is ‘Thank God It’s Monday’ by NoFX produced by Epitaph Records.
To the best of our knowledge, all sources are cited here in the show. Please send all comments, questions, concerns, and cranberries to Miss Behavior Journal Club Headquarters.